I adapted this recipe from another blogger, but as usual I had to add my own touches and make it my own! This soup is extra hearty and great for dinner or lunch! It is certainly a comfort food for me. Soups are always a great one pot meal and there’s always leftovers. Most soups are even better the next day. Anyhoo, hope you try it, like it and share it!
Wild Rice Mushroom and Lentil Soup
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C uncooked wild rice
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian herb mix
- 1 C cooked brown lentils
- 2 C baby spinach fresh or any mild green
- dash hot sauce
- 6 tbsp Vegan butter/olive oil
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 2 C almond milk/or any non dairy milk
- Add 2 tbsp Olive oil to Instapot and saute onion until transparent, add celery, carrot, garlic and cook on med/hi for about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients.Pressure cook on high heat for 45 minutes followed by a quick release of the pressure manually. Once the soup base and roux are ready, pour in the roux into the base and throw in the greens. Give it a nice stir, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, and the soup is ready to be served.Keeps well in the fridge for leftovers, add a bit of non dairy milk of too thick when reheating.
- During the last 5 minutes of the soup being pressure cooked, on a stove top, melt the butter or oil and whisk in the flour with milk to make the creamy sauce. Can be made gluten free.
Gluten free Roux
- 1.5 tbsp gluten-free corn starch1 cup cold milkYou can use any gluten-free flour to make your roux or gluten-free cornstarch. Simply whisk 1.5 cups of cornstarch in cold milk and heat it on stove top until it starts simmering, then whisk it generously until it thickens.