Plant based Sausage Mushroom Lasagna
Vegan version of a classic favorite with bechamel
- 24 oz your favorite pasta sauce I used https://milliecooksvegan.org/2019/12/17/easy-marinara/
- 3 tbsp vegan butter I used Miyoko
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 c non dairy milk I used almond
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 14 oz firm tofu pressed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp basil
- cooking spray
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- 14 oz vegan mozzarella I used Daiya
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add warm water to another 9×13 baking dish drizzle olive oil in and add noodles one at a time making sure they don’t stick together. Add cookie sheet to top and set aside.
- Place the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, break apart links and cook until browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Allow the flour and butter to cook until light and foamy, about 2 minutes, whisking constantly; whisk in milk, a little at a time. Whisk in the salt, nutmeg, nutritional yeast and bring the sauce to a bare simmer, whisking constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove sauce from the heat and set aside.
- Place all tofu ricotta ingredients in food processor and pulse till combined.
- To assemble lasagna, pour about 1 1/2 cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Remove noodles from warm water and remove excess water running between your fingers. Top the sauce with 3 lasagna noodles, overlapping if necessary. On the noodles, layer 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, followed by 1/3 of the cooked sausage, 1/3 cup of mushrooms, 1/4 of the bechamel sauce, 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese, and 1 more cup of marinara sauce. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with a final layer of noodles topped with a layer of marinara sauce, bechamel sauce, the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and the noodles are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the top cheese layer is browned, about 5 more minutes. Allow the lasagna to stand for 10 minutes before cutting.