I saw this post on Vegnews insta and HAD to make it. It’s my take on Hot for Foods Vegan Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo. I LOVE mushrooms and alfredo!! But my grandson is coming for a sleepover tonight and he has a peanut allergy so I wanted to make it nut free. Which it totally can be, however I asked my daughter in the middle of making and she said he’s ok with cashews…so I did throw a handful in cuz.. cashews right? I also make with rigatoni for little hands. Give it a try and comment please and thank you.
Vegan Mushroom Alfredo
- 14 oz Extra firm tofu I used this because it was all I had. Silken tofu would probably work best.
- 1 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 1/2 c almond milk Use a nut based alternative milk if you want nut free recipe
- 1/2 c water
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 c vegan mozzarella
- 1/4 c vegan parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 handful raw cashews omit if making nut free
- 1 c finely diced onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 c dry white wine I used cooking wine
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 c baby spinach packed
- 1 c vegetable broth I used Better than Bouillon seasoned vegetable base.
- Bring salted water to a boil for the pasta. I do this concurrently with other steps. Cook al dente according to package directions and drain but do not rinse. In a high speed blender add tofu, water, almond milk, sour cream, nutritional yeast flakes, both cheeses, hummus, vinegar, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Blend until creamy. I also added cashews here. In a large pan saute onions in oil until softened about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes. Once they have released most of their moisture, stir in garlic and cook for 4 minutes, add wine and simmer for 7 minutes until reduced and most of the liquid is gone. Reduce heat to medium low, stir in basil and parsley, cook for another minute. Stir in tofu sauce and spinach, and slowly stir in stock. Cook until spinach is wilted, add pasta to pan and cook a few more minutes. Serve immediately, or if you're like me and making it ahead of time add a touch of water or plant based milk to reheat.