New Year’s Black-eyed Pea Stew
A rich and hearty stew bursting with flavor!
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole pepper (I used yellow) diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 4 pieces Beyond sausage Brat diced
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black-eyed peas rinsed well
- 1/4 cup Grape seed oil or other neutral oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp fennel seed
- 1 cup vegetable broth I used Better than bouillon seasoned vegetable
- 1/2 can water from the tomato can swirl the water around the can to grab all the remaining tomato pieces and juices
- 1/4 head cabbage *optional
- 1/4 head cauliflower *optional
- Add oil to a large stock pot and cook onion till almost translucent about 5 minutes. Add pepper, garlic and celery (if using the cauliflower and cabbage add here) and saute another 5-8 minutes till vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the Beyond sausage, fennel seeds, cumin and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, water, vegetable broth and black-eyed peas simmer for 20-30 minutes.
I added my cabbage and cauliflower as an afterthought so I cooked them separately and added to the stew.